Bases/ Stations


RCAF Station Trois-Rivieres, Quebec

January 1944.  Location of No. 3 Aircrew Graduate Training School.

    December 1944.  Closure.

May 1952.  Location of No. 2453 Aircraft Control and Warning.

    May 1961.  Closure.

June 1953.  Location of No. 6 Ground Observer Corps.

    May 1960.  Closure.


Tusket, Nova Scotia

September 1942.  Location of No. 3 Radio Detachment.

    September 1945. Closure.


RCAF Station Uclulet, British Columbia

July 1940.  Location of No. 4 (B.R.) Squadron.

January 1942.  Opened.

November 1944.  Closed.

July 1945.  Closure of No. 4 (B.R.) Squadron.


RCAF Station/ CFB Uplands, Ontario (See RCAF Ottawa (South))


RCAF Station/ CFB Val D'Or, Quebec

1976.  Closed.


Valcartier, Quebec

April 1941.  Location of No. 4A Manning Depot.

    August 1941.  Closure.

1951.  Location of Canadian Armament Research & Development Establishment (CARDE).

Location of 711 Communication Squadron

Work Dress

Location of 5e Groupement de Combat


RCAF Station Valleyfield, Quebec

January 1944.  Location of No. 4 Aircrew Graduate Training School.

    July 1944.  Closure.


RCAF Station Vancouver, British Columbia (see RCAF Station Sea Island)


Victoria.  British Columbia

March 1944.  Location of No. 2 Filter Detachment.

    September 1945.  Closure.

June 1955.  Location of No. 2455 Aircraft Control and Warning.

    March 1961.  Closure.

Joint Rescue Coordination Centre

LVG

Location of 741 Communication Squadron

Combat


RCAF Station Victoriaville, Quebec

March 1941.  Location of No. 3 Initial Training School.

    November 1944.  Closure.


RCAF Station Virden, Manitoba

May 1941.  Location of No. 19 Elementary Flying Training School.

    October 1944.  Closure.


RCAF Station Vulcan, Alberta

3 August 1942.  Opened

August 1942.  Location of No. 2 Flying Instructor's School.

    January 1945.  Closure.

May 1943.  Location of No. 19 Service Flying Training School.

    April 1945.  Closure.


RCAF Detachment Wainwright, Alberta

    July 1943.

    September 1943.


RCAF Station/ CFB Wainwright, Alberta

1941.  Established on the site of the former Buffalo National Park.

1944.   Internment Camp 103 was established on site and 1700 German POW's were imprisoned here until July 1946.

1950.   25 Infantry Brigade, Canada's Army commitment to the UN's Commonwealth Contingent in Korea, began training here, but it wasn't until 1952 that the camp's first permanent buildings were constructed.

July 1974.  The First Canadian Mechanized Brigade Operational Training Detachment, the successor to the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) Regimental Depot, was established at Camp Wainwright. 

1 May 1984.  The Operational Training Detachment was re-named the PPCLI Battle School.

1996.  Re-named Land Force Western Area Training Centre Battle School.

Today Camp Wainwright , featuring 609 square kilometers of training area, 25 weapon ranges from pistol to artillery and an airfield sufficient to land transport aircraft, is the largest training area in Western Canada and the primary training area for the Regular and Reserve Force Army and Air Force units of the Western area. Other users of the camp are Cadet units, the British Army, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and Corrections Canada.


RCAF Detachment Watson Lake, Yukon

March 1944.  Opened.

    My 1957.  Closure.


RCAF Station Watson Lake, Yukon

July 1942.  Location of No. 4 Staging Unit.

    November 1944.  Closure.


Wellesbourne, United Kingdom

June 1944.  Location of No. 22 Operational Training Unit.

    July 1945.  Closure.


Werl, Germant.  Canadian Army


RCAF Station Weyburn, Saskatchewan

November 1940.  Location of No. 8 Service Flying Training School.

    June 1944.  Closure.

February 1942.  Location of No. 41 Service Flying Training School (RAF).

    January 1944.  Closure.

July 1944.  Location of No. 202 Holding Unit.

    November 1944.  Closure.


RCAF Station/ CFB Whitehorse, Yukon

March 1943.  Location of No. 5 Staging Unit.

    September 1944.  Closure.

February 1959.  Operation Polar Bear

December 1964.  Closure.


RCAF Station Windsor, Ontario

November 1944.  Location of No. 7 Elementary Flying Training School.

January 1954.  Location of No. 2451 Aircraft Control and Warning.

    May 1961.  Closure.


RCAF Station Windsor Mills, Quebec

June 1940.  Location of No. 4 Elementary Flying Training School.

    August 1941.  Closure.

Sept 1944.  Location of No. 302 Aircraft Holding Unit (AHU).

    November 1944.  Closure.

December 1944.  Location of No. 7 Surplus Equipment Holding Unit.

    August 1945.  Closure.


RCAF Detachment Winnipeg, Manitoba


RCAF Station/ CFB Winnipeg, Manitoba

Prior to World War II.  Opened as Fort Osborne Barracks, this was the home of The Lord Strathcona's Horse, the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (2 PPCLI) and C Battery of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery.

5 October 1932.  Location of No. 13 (Army Co-operation) Squadron (Auxiliary).

February 1936.  Location of No. 8 (G.P.) Squadron.

    September 1939.  Moved to Sydney, N.S., then Sea Island.

July 1936.  Location of No. 2 Equipment Depot.

    July 1940.  Closure.

March 1940.  Location of No. 7 Equipment Supply Depot.

    February 1946.  Closure.

October 1940.  Location of No. 8 Repair Depot.

    September 1946.  Closure.

October 1940.  Location of No. 15 Aeronautical Inspection District.

    August 1945.  Closure.

January 1941.  Location of No. 5 Air Observer School.

    April 1945.  Closure.

Location of No. 3 Wireless School.

Sep 17th, 1941. Formed

Jan 20th, 1945.  Closure

    May 1942.  Closure.

November 1942.  Location of Western Division of 124 Ferry Squadron

Renamed  No. 170 (Ferry) Squadron on 1 March 1944.

Disbanded at the end of the war.

Renamed again No. 124 Ferry Squadron at the end of the war.

Disbanded 30 September 1946

After the war, the newly formed Prairie Command Headquarters took up residence on site.

No. 2 Air Command

    1 December 1944.  Formed at Winnipeg, Manitoba by the merger of No. 2 and No. 4 Training Command of the BCATP.

    1 March 1947.  Disbanded on the formation of No. 11 Group of North West Air Command.

June 1945.  Location of No. 2 Air Observer School.

    May 1960.  Closure.

December 1945.   Location of No. 2 Composite Flight.

    February 1947. Closure.

February 1946.  Location of No. 5 Release Center.

    November 1946.  Closure.

May 1946.  Location of No. 9401 RCAF Detachment.

    January 1947.  Closure.

March 1947.  Location of No. 111 Composite Unit.

    December 1964.  Closure.

April 1947.  Location of No. 402 Aux. Squadron Support.

    June 1948.  Closure.

April 1947.  Location of No. 112 (T) Flight.

    July 1948.  Closure.

1951.  Location of No. 2402 Aircraft Control and Warning.

    May 1960.  Closure.

March 1951.  Location of No. 4003 Medical Unit (Aux).

    March 1961.  Closure.

July 1951.  Location of No. 17 Wing HQ (Aux).

    December 1964.  Closure.

August 1951.  Location of No. 15 Technical Training Wing (Aux).

    November 1957.  Closure.

September 1951.  Location of No. 5003 Intelligence Unit.

    November 1957.  Closure.

May 1952.  Location of No. 9402 RCAF "R" Detachment.

    November 1952.  Closure.

October 1952.  Location of No. 3052 Technical Training Unit.

    December 1963.  Closure.

May 1955.  Location of  No. 3 Communications Unit.

    December 1964.  Closure.

1957.   Fort Osborne's role was to provide support services for Army units under control of Prairie Command.

December 1960.  Location of No. 2 Air Navigation School.

    December 1964.  Closure.

1964.  Location of No. 9 Air Movements Unit.

1 February 1968.  Integrated in the Canadian Armed Forces.  Merged with RCAF Station Winnipeg to form CFB Winnipeg.

Coin

Front Back

The barracks were officially designated as CFB Winnipeg (South), although the name Fort Osborne Barracks remained in use.

17 May 1973, Fort Osborne Barracks was re-named Kapyong Barracks, after the battle of Kapyong, fought by 2 PPCLI in Korea in 1951.

1976.  Location of Air Reserve Group.

   

1993.  Renamed 17 Wing.

   

        LVG

       

June 2004.  Kapyong Barracks closed and 2 PPCLI re-located to new facilities at CFB Shilo.

    RCAF

   

    CFB Winnipeg

   

    1 Air Movements Squadron

   

    1 Canadian Air Division

   

    1 Canadian Forces Flying Training School (2009)

LVG

        LVG

       

    2 Health Services Group AECM

   

        LVG

       

       

    3 CFFTS (Canadian Forces Flying Training School) see Portage La Prairie

    Air Training Test and Evaluation Flight (ATTEF)

        LVG

       

    Basic Flight Training School (BFTC)

    Canadian Forces Air Navigation School (CFANS)

   

   

        LVG

       

    

        Basic Air Navigation Course (BANC)

       

             LVG

           

    3 Regular Support Unit

   

    Canadian Forces School of Aerospace Studies (CFSAS)

   

        LVG

       

    Canadian Forces School of Meteorology (CFS Met)

   

    Canadian Forces School of Survival and Aeromedical Training (CFSSAT)

   

        LVG

       

    Central Flying School

   

        LVG

       

       

    Flight Safety   

   

   

        LVG

       

        Arid

       

    Human Performance in Military Aviation

       

            LVG

           

    Instrument Check Pilot

   

        Comd ICP

       

        Group ICP

       

        Staff ICP

       

        LVG

       

        Arid

       

    Division Instrument Check Pilot

        LVG

       

    Forward Air Controller

        LVG

       

    Pilot Flying Training (PFT) and Pilot Flying Training Extended PFT (E)

       

            LVG

           

           

        Qualified Flying Instructor

   

            LVG

           

Location of 734 Communication Squadron

Work Dress

Combat

    Misc.

   

Books        St-Andrews Airport. August 17th and 18th 1974.  Winnipeg International Air Show

Author        None

ISBN        None


RCAF Station Winisk, Ontario

Mid-Canada Line

June 1958.  Opened near the mouth of the Winisk River.

December 1964.  Closure.


Wombleton, United Kingdom

May 1943.  Location of No. 1679 Conversion Unit.

    December 1943.  Closure.

June 1943.  Location of No. 1666 Conversion Unit.

    December 1943.  Closure.

August 1943.  Location of Station HQ.

    September 1945.  Closure.


RCAF Station Woodcock, New Brunswick

October 1943.  Location of No. 15 Staging Unit.

    March 1964.  Closure.


RCAF Station Yarmouth, Nova Scotia

March 1941.  No. 119 (BR) Squadron relocated from Hamilton.

Blazer

Blazer

normal

January 1942 .  Originally opened as 3 separate training sites (the East Camp, the West Camp and the Air Base) under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, but known collectively as RCAF Station Yarmouth.

May 1942.  Location of No. 162 (BR) Squadron.

    August 1945.  Closure.

May 1942.  Location of No. 6 Coastal Artillery Co-Operation Flight.

    October 1943.  Closure.

January 1943.  Location of No. 1 Naval Air Gunners School.

    March 1945.  Closure.

October 1943.  Location of Aircrew Assessment Board.

    July 1945.  Closure.

October 1943.  Location of Eastern Air Command Meteorological Flight.

    September 1948.  Closure.

The East Camp was home to a detachment of the Royal Air Force's No. 34 Operational Training Unit (from Pennfield Ridge), who trained Bomber crews, as well as the Royal Navy's No. 1 Naval Air Gunners School from 1 January 1943 - 30 March 1945.

The West Camp was home to the RCAF's Anti-Submarine Bomber Reconnaissance and several Eastern Air Command Bomber Reconnaissance Squadrons.

The Air Base was home to the 9th Light Anti-Aircraft Artillery, various RCAF and RAF Bomber Squadrons and an Army Co-operation Reconnaissance Flight.  Its primary function was as an administrative and logistical support base to the RAF and RCAF squadrons in the area, in addition to providing a Weather Information Section, an Armament Section and a firing range.

Several smaller installations associated with the air station were located in the area: a bombing range at Port Maitland, a fuel depot at Digby, and radar detachments at Plymouth, Tusket and Bear Point, Port Mouton and Rockville.

1944.  A detachment of the US Navy briefly came to Yarmouth to test the effectiveness of a blimp service.  After a crash, the RCAF decided against this venture.

1945.  Station Closed.


Yellowknife, North West Territories


Yemen

1963.  Location of No. 134 Air Transport Unit, UNEF.


York, United Kingdom

September 1942.  Location of No. 5 District Headquarters.

    November 1945.  Closure.


RCAF Station Yorkton, Saskatchewan

March 1941.  Location of No. 11 Service Flying Training School.

    November 1944. Closure.

October 1942.  Location of No. 23 EFTS (Elementary Flying Training School).

    September 1945.  Closure.

16 September 1945.  Location of No. 2 FTS (Flying Training School).

6 December 1945.  Closure.

Pinetree Line

15 October 1962.  RCAF Station Yorkton opened as a Pinetree Line radar station, about 10 miles west of the former wartime training base No. 11 Service Flying Training School.  46 Radar Squadron was formed to handle the radar duties, reporting to the Central NORAD Region.

1 February 1968.  Integrated in the Canadian Armed Forces.  Re-named CFS Yorkton.

Coin

Front Back

1 August 1986.  Closed.


3 Wing / RCAF Station Zweibrucken, Germany

January 1953.  Location of No. 3 (F) Wing.

Jamboree 1965

Curling Club

Hockey Team.

Model Airplane Club

Spartans

    1968.  Closure