Squadrons


410 SQN

    30 June 1941.  Formed as a Night Fighter at Ayr, Scotland.  Flew the Defiant aircraft.

    August 1941.  Moved to Drem, near the Firth of Forth.

    April 1942.  Re-equipped with Beaufighters.

decal

    September 1942.  Moved to Scorton, Yorkshire.

    October 1942.  Moved to Acklington.  Re-equipped with Mosquito Night Fighters.

    February 1943.  Moved to Coleby Grange, Lincolnshire.

    October 1943.  Move southeast to England.  Attached to No. 11 Group.

    September 1944.  Moved to Flisy, France.

    9 June 1945.  Moved to Gilzen-Rizen, Netherlands.

    1 December 1948.  Reformed in a Fighter role at St. Hubert, Quebec.

   

    First Squadron to fly the Vampire aircraft.

    November 1951.  Re-equipped with the Sabre aircraft and moved to Luffenham, England.

    November 1954.  Moved to Baden-Soellingen, Germany.

    Early 1955.  Moved to Marville, France.

    1 October 1956.  Disbanded at Marville, France.

    1 November 1956.  Reactivated as All-Weather (Fighter) at Uplands, Ontario.  Flew the Canuck aircraft.

    13 November 1961.  Re-equipped with CF-101 aircraft.

    31 March 1964.  Disbanded.

    April 1968.  3 All-Weather Operational Training Unit of CFB Bagotville was Re-designated 410 All-Weather Operational Training Squadron.

small blazer work dress

   

May 1982.  End of the training on the Voodoo aircraft.

    June 1982.  Reformed at CFB Cold Lake.  Received if first two CF-18 Hornet aircraft.

       

    1985.  Formation of the Fighter Weapons Course.

    28 September 1988.  Received the last CF-18, for a total of 138 aircrafts. 

    14 Feb 1989.  Terminology changed from Escadrille to Escadron in accordance with CANFORGEN 003/89

   

    30 June 1991.  Celebrated their 50th anniversary.

Yellow rim White rim Yellow rim White rim

   

1997 era name tag

name tag

    Escadron

   

    Fighter Weapons Instructor

   

        LVG

       

    Fighter Weapons Controller

   

        LVG

       

        Arid

       

    Fighter Electronic Warfare

   

        LVG

       

    FOTEF (Fighter Operational Test Evaluation Flight)

   

        LVG

       

   

   

    LVG

   

    CADPAT Title

   

 

    410 Sqn 60 Years 1941-2001

   

  2002.  CF-18 Hornet celebrated 20 years in the Canadian Armed Forces.  Special name tag was produce for this occasion.

name tag

    2005 CF-18 Demonstration Jet

   

    2007 Demo Team coin with Box

   

    2008 Demo Team

   


411 SQN

    16 June 1941.  Formed at Digby, Lincolnshire.  Flew the Spitfire aircraft.

    19 June 1944.  Move to France.

    21 March 1946.  Disbanded at Utersen, Germany.

    1 February 1947.  Reformed as 411 Fighter Squadron (Auxiliary).

    1 October 1947.  Disbanded

    1 October 1950.  Reformed as 411 (Fighter) Squadron at RCAF Downsview (Toronto).  Flew the Vampire and Sabre aircraft.

2 June 1952.  Re-designated 411 "County of York" (Fighter) Squadron.

1 October 1958.  Re-designated 411 Squadron.

22 February 1964.  Re-designated 411 Squadron (Auxiliary).

    Combat

    

1 February 1968.  Integrated into the Canadian Armed Forces as 411 "County of York" Air Reserve Squadron.  Flew the Otter and the Kiowa aircraft.

Name Tag

    14 Feb 1989.  Terminology changed from Escadrille to Escadron in accordance with CANFORGEN 003/89

Coin

Front Back

    Combat Title

   

    LVG

    22 October 1991.  Re-designated 411 Tactical Aviation Squadron.

    1 April 1993.  Re-designated 411 Tactical Helicopter Squadron.

    1 January 1998.  Disbanded

Books

Title    411 Squadron History

Author

ISBN    0-9695370-0-X


412 SQN

    30 June 1941.  Formed at Digby, Lincolnshire.  Flew the Spitfire aircraft.

    21 March 1946.  Disbanded at Utersen, Germany.

    1 April 1947.  Reformed as 412 Composite Squadron from 12 Communications Squadron.

    1 April 1949.  Re-designated 412 (Transport) Squadron.  Moved to Rockcliffe, Ontario.

    21 June 1950.  Addition of the C5 aircraft to the fleet.

    May 1953.  Addition of the Comet 1A aircraft to the fleet.

    June 1955.  Moved to Uplands, Ontario.

    1960.  Addition of the Cosmopolitan aircraft to the fleet.

Type 1 Type 2

    1961.  Addition of the CL44 Yukon aircraft to the fleet.

    10 October 1963.  Retirement of the Comet 1A aircraft.

    30 April 1966.  Retirement of the C5 aircraft.

    1968.  Retirement of the CL44 Yukon aircraft.

    1968.  Addition of the Falcon aircraft to the fleet.

    Late 1970's.  A permanent Squadron detachment was established at Lahr, Germany with a Cosmopolitan aircraft.

    23 January 1980.  Replacement of the Cosmopolitan aircraft from Lahr with De Havilland Dash 7 aircraft.

    1983.  Addition of the Canadair Challenger aircraft to the fleet.

type 1 type 2 type 3

    1985.  Retirement of the Falcon aircraft.

    1987.  Replacement of the Dash 7 with Dash 8 aircraft.

    14 Feb 1989.  Terminology changed from Escadrille to Escadron in accordance with CANFORGEN 003/89

    1993.  Closing of Lahr, Germany.  Return of the Dash 8 to Ottawa.

    1994.  Closing of CFB Ottawa.  Retirement of the Cosmopolitan aircraft.  Relocated from Uplands to Transport Canada hangar.

    1995.  Opening of The Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee Jr Annex. 

    RCAF

   

    Escadrille

   

    Escadron

   

        LVG

       

    CADPAT Title

   


413 SQN

    13 Squadron

    13 July 1940.  Formed as No. 13 (Operational Training) Squadron from the Seaplane and Bomber Reconnaissance School.

    9 November 1942.  Disbanded.

    14 January 1943.  Reformed as Photographic Flight.

    15 May 1944.  Redesigned No. 13 (Photographic) Squadron (unofficially).  Flew the Mitchell and Lancaster aircraft.

    15 November 1946. Redesigned No. 13 (Photographic) Squadron (officially).

    1 April 1947.  Re-designated 413 (Photographic) Squadron.

    413 Squadron

    1 July 1941.  Authorized as 413 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron at Stranraer, Scotland.  Flew the Catalina aircraft.

    March 1942.  Moved to Koggala, Ceylon.

    Early 1945.  Returned to United Kingdom.

    18 February 1945.  Disbanded at Bournemouth, Hampshire.

    1 April 1947.  Reformed as 413 (Photographic) Squadron from No. 13 (Photographic) Squadron.

    1 April 1949.  Re-designated 413 (Survey Transport) Squadron at Rockcliffe, Ontario.  Flew the Dakota, Canso and Norseman aircraft.

    1 April 1949.  Disbanded.

    1 August 1951.  Reformed as 413 All Weather Squadron at Bagotville, Quebec.  Flew the Vampire aircraft aircraft.

    Fall 1951.  Re-equipped with Sabre aircraft.

    7 December 1951.  Re-designated 413 Fighter Squadron.

    April 1953.  Moved to Zweibruchen, Germany.

blazer

    1 May 1957.  Disbanded in Germany and reformed 413 All Weather Fighter Squadron at Bagotville, Quebec.  Flew the Canuck aircraft.

    30 December 1961.  Disbanded.

    18 July 1968.  Reformed as 413 Rescue Squadron from 103 Rescue Unit.

    31 August 1970.  Re-designated 413 Transport and Rescue Squadron.

    103 Rescue Unit

    1 April 1947.  Authorized as 103 Search and Rescue Flight.

    1 July 1950.  Re-designated 103 Rescue Unit.

    18 July 1968.  Re-designated 413 Rescue Squadron.  Moved from CFB Greenwood, Nova Scotia to CFB Summerside, Prince Edward Island.  Re-equipped with Labrador and Albatross aircraft.

    1970.  Retirement of the Albatross aircraft.  Re-equipped with the Buffalo aircraft.   

    14 Feb 1989.  Terminology changed from Escadrille to Escadron in accordance with CANFORGEN 003/89

    10 June 1991.  Closure of CFB Summerside.  Squadron moved back to CFB Greenwood, Nova Scotia.  Kept the Labrador aircraft and the Hercules aircraft was added to their inventory.

    1 July 1991.  Celebrated their 50th anniversary.

50 Anniversary

    24 August 2002.    Arrival of the CH-149 Cormorant aircraft.

    LVG

   

  April 2003.  Retirement of the CH-113 Labrador aircraft.

    Escadron

   

   

        LVG

       

        LVG

       

    CADPAT Title

   

In memory of crash of Tusker 914 on July 13th, 2006

Books

Title    413 Squadron History

Author    D.J. Baker

ISBN    1-896182-77-1


414 SQN

    12 August 1941.  Formed as 414 (Army Co-operation) Squadron, at Croydon, Surrey, England.  Trained on the Lysander and Tomahawk aircraft.

    28 June 1943.  Re-designated 414 (Fighter Reconnaissance) Squadron.  Flew the Mustang aircraft.

    August 1944.  Re-equipped with the Spitfire aircraft.

    7 August 1945.  Disbanded at Lunenburg, Germany.

    1 April 1947.  Reformed as 414 (Photographic) Squadron from 14 (Photographic) Squadron at RCAF Rockcliffe, Ontario.

    1 November 1950.  Disbanded.

    1 December 1952.  Reformed as 414 (Fighter) Squadron at RCAF Bagotville, Quebec.  Flew the Sabre aircraft.

    24 August 1953.  Moved to Baden-Soellingen, Germany.

    1 August 1957.  Re-designated 414 All-Weather Fighter Squadron at RCAF North Bay, Ontario.  Flew the CF-100 Canuck aircraft.

    1962.  Re-equipped with CF-101 Voodoo aircraft.

    30 June 1964.  Disbanded.

    7 October 1967. Reformed as 414 Electronic Warfare Squadron from the RCAF Electronic Warfare Squadron, at RCAF St-Hubert.

    August 1972.  Moved to CFB North Bay, Ontario.

    Fall 1977.  Arrival of the EC-117 Falcon to augment, and eventually replace the CF-100 Canuck aircraft.

    December 1981.  Retirement of the CF-100 Canuck aircraft.

    1982.  Addition of the EF-101 Voodoo aircraft.

Crest Decal

    14 Feb 1989.  Terminology changed from Escadrille to Escadron in accordance with CANFORGEN 003/89

    June 1989.  Replacement of the EC-117 Falcon with the Challenger 600 Series completed.  Addition of specialized  (EW ) T-33 Silver Star aircraft.

    17 June 1992.  Re-designated 414 Composite Squadron.  Split in two.  One part going to Comox, British Columbia.  The other part as 434 Composite Squadron in Greenwood, Nova Scotia.

    1 April 1993.  Re-designated 414 Combat Support Squadron.  Flew the CT-133 Silver Start aircraft.

    31 July 2002.  Disbanded in Comox, British Columbia.

    LVG

   


415 SQN

    20 August 1941.  Formed as 415 (Torpedo Bomber) Squadron, at Thorney Island, Hamsphire.  Flew the Hampden aircraft.

    October 1943.  Re-equipped with the Wellington and the Albacore aircraft.

    July 1944.  Moved to No. 6 (RCAF) Group of Bomber Command at RCAF Station East Moor.  Re-equipped with the Halifax aircraft.

    12 July 1945.  Re-designated 415 (Bomber) Squadron.

    15 May 1945.  Disbanded.

    1 May 1961.  Reformed as 415 Maritime Patrol Squadron, at RCAF Station Summerside.  Flew the CP-107 Argus aircraft.

    1980.  Retirement of the Argus aircraft

    1 June 1981.  Moved to Greenwood, Nova Scotia.  Flew the Aurora and the Arcturus aircraft.

    14 Feb 1989.  Terminology changed from Escadrille to Escadron in accordance with CANFORGEN 003/89

    20 August 1991.  Celebrated their 50th Anniversary.

50 Anniversary

    1997.  Celebrated 40 years of non-continuous service

40 years of Excellence

    Escadrille

 

    Escadron

   

   

   

   

   

        LVG

       

        CADPAT Title

       


416 SQN

    22 November 1941.  Formed as 416 (Fighter) Squadron, at Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland.  Flew the Spitfire aircraft.

    15 March 1946.  Disbanded at Utersen, Germany.

    8 January 1951.  Reformed at Uplands, Ontario.  Flew the Mustang and later, the Sabre aircraft.

    September 1952.  Joined No. 2 (Fighter) Wing , at Grostenquin, France.

 

    31 January 1957.  Deactivated at Grostenquin, France.

    1 February 1957.  Reactivated 416 All Weather Fighter Squadron, at St-Hubert, Quebec.  Flew the CF-100 Canuck aircraft.

    1 September 1961.  Deactivated.

    31 December 1961.  Reactivated at Bagotville, Quebec.  Flew the CF-101 Voodoo aircraft.

    November 1962.  Moved to Chatham, New Brunswick.

    1 February 1968.  Integrated into the Canadian Armed Forces.

Coin

Front Back

    31 March 1985.  Disbanded.

    1 June 1988.  Reformed as 416 Tactical Fighter Squadron, at Cold Lake, Alberta  Flew the CF-18 Hornet aircraft.

    14 Feb 1989.  Terminology changed from Escadrille to Escadron in accordance with CANFORGEN 003/89

    October 1990.  Deployed to the Persian Gulf.  Precisely Doha, Qatar.  Formed the Desert Cats.

  crest decal

   Book

Title    Desert Cats The Canadian Fighter Squadron in the Gulf War

Author    Captain David N. Deere

ISBN    0-919195-13-X

     22 November 1991.  Celebrated their 50th Anniversary.

50 Anniversary

Cope Thunder

Yearly Air Combat Exercise held at Eielson AFB, Alaska with the 353rd Combat Training Squadron.

Cope Thunder

 

   RCAF

   

    Escadrille

   

    Escadron

   

   

   

   

         LVG

       

    CADPAT Title

   

    6 July 2006.  Disbanded

        Coin

       

Books

Title    416 Squadron History

Author

ISBN    0-920492-00-4


417 SQN

    27 November 1941.  Formed at Charmey Down, Somersetshire, England.  Flew the Hurricane and later the Spitfire aircraft.

    30 June 1945.  Disbanded at Tresivo, Italy.

    1 June 1947.  Reformed as a 417 Fighter Reconnaissance unit at Rivers, Manitoba.  Flew the Mustang and Harvard aircraft.

    1 April 1949.  Disbanded.

    23 March 1968.  Reformed as 417 Strike/Reconnaissance Operational Training Squadron from 6 Strike/Reconnaissance Operational Training Unit.

    18 April 1972.  Re-designated 417 Tactical Fighter Operational Training Squadron.  Flew the CF-104 Starfighter aircraft.

    15 October 1983.  Disbanded with the retirement of the CF-104 aircraft.

    14 Feb 1989.  Terminology changed from Escadrille to Escadron in accordance with CANFORGEN 003/89

    1 April 1993.  Reformed as 417 Combat Support Squadron taking the duties of Base Flight.  Flew the CT-133 Silver Star and the Twin Huey aircraft.  Presently fly the CH-146 Griffon helicopter.

   

    RCAF

   

    Escadrille

   

    Escadron

   

        LVG

       

        CADPAT Title

       

Books

Title    417 Squadron History

Author

ISBN   0-920002-22-6


418 SQN

    15 November 1941.  Formed as 418 (Intruder) Squadron at Debden, Essex, England.  Flew the Boston and Mosquito aircraft.

    15 March 1945.  Moved to Belgium, and then to The Netherlands.

    7 September 1945.  Disbanded at Volkel, in The Netherlands.

    15 April 1946.  Reformed as 418 (Fighter Bomber) Squadron at RCAF Edmonton, Alberta.  Flew the Mitchell aircraft.

    1 January 1947.  Re-designated 418 (Light Bomber) Squadron.

    1 April 1947.  Re-designated 418 (Tactical Bomber) Squadron.

    1 April 1949.  Re-designated 418 (Light Bomber) Squadron.

    3 September 1952.  Re-designated 418 "City of Edmonton" (Light Bomber) Squadron.

    27 August 1957.  Moved to RCAF Namao, Alberta

    31 March 1958.  Re-designated 418 "City of Edmonton" Squadron.  Re-equipped with Expeditor and Otter aircraft.

    22 February 1964.  Re-designated 418 Squadron (Auxiliary).

    1 February 1968.  Integrated into the Canadian Armed Forces.

Coin

Front Back

    1 January 1969.  Re-designated 418 Air Reserve Squadron.

 

 Decal

       

    14 Feb 1989.  Terminology changed from Escadrille to Escadron in accordance with CANFORGEN 003/89

    15 November 1991.  Celebrated their 50th anniversary.

50 Anniversary

    1 April 1993.  Re-designated 418 Transport and Rescue Squadron.  Flew Twin Otters and Hercules aircraft.

CC130

    22 June 1994.  Disbanded at CFB Edmonton, Alberta.

Books

Title    418 Squadron History

Author

ISBN    0-920002-31-5


419 SQN

    15 December 1941.  Formed as 419 (Bomber) Squadron at Mildenhall, Suffolk, England.  Flew the Wellington, Halifax and Lancaster aircraft.

    5 September 1945.  Disbanded at Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.

    15 March 1954.  Reformed as 419 All Weather (Fighter) Squadron, at North Bay, Ontario.  Flew the CF-100 aircraft.

    August 1957.  Joined No. 1 Air Division Europe to Replace No. 414 (Fighter) Squadron in No. 4 (Fighter) Wing, Baden-Soellingen, Germany.

    31 December 1962.  Disbanded on the retirement of the CF-100 aircraft.

    31 August 1964.  Reformed as 419 Tactical Fighter Training Squadron from 1 Canadian Forces Flying Training School.  Flew the CF-5 aircraft.

    December 1970.  1CFFTS moved from Gimli, Manitoba and joined 419 Squadron.  Flew the CT-133 aircraft.

    1974.  Arrival of the CF-5 aircraft.

 

    January 1976.  First basic training of tactical fighter pilots course on the CF-104, CF-101 and CF-5 aircraft.

Pin

 

Decal

   

    14 Feb 1989.  Terminology changed from Escadrille to Escadron in accordance with CANFORGEN 003/89

    24 June 1995. Disbanded.

    28 July 2000.  Reformed as 419 Tactical Fighter Training Squadron to conduct Phase IV of the NATO Flying Training Canada (NFTC) program for Canada, Denmark, Italy, Singapore, and the Royal Air Force.  Eventually Sweden, Switzerland, Finland, France, Hungary, and the Royal Navy joined the group.  Flew the CT-155 Hawk aircraft.

Canada Denmark Finland Germany Hungary Italy Singapore Sweden United Kingdom

LVG but with colored flags

Canada Denmark Finland Germany Hungary Italy Singapore Sweden United Kingdom

LVG but with LVG flags

   
Canada Denmark Finland Germany Hungary Italy Singapore Sweden United Kingdom

15 December 2001.  Celebrated their 60th anniversary.

60 Anniversary

 

    Escadrille

   

   

   

    Escadron

   

        LVG

       

    CADPAT Title

   

Books

Title    419 Squadron History

Author

ISBN   None